In today’s world, be it climbing the corporate ladder or working your own working hard is not enough to get promoted and advance in your career. It is especially true in the financial services sector where anemic growth and emerging technologies leave their mark. Striving to be at your best in the workplace no matter whether in the start of your career, when you have been working for a while or especially if you decide to start your own business is something not to lose sight of.
While the skill set of everyone is different and always has specific characteristics that have the potential to make us both excellent employees and employers, continued improvement is more than beneficial for long lasting success in business. Always, your employers and especially your employees, should you decide to have any, will have high expectations of what you can deliver. Logically, we must set a very high benchmark for ourselves. As the chairman of Bloomberg, likes saying “ There is no finish line in the race for excellence. ”
Always striving to hit the next level, here are 10 traits of business leader that will likely help you to succeed:
1. They set the standard. All-star people aren’t average — they set a new standard for employee aptitude, product quality or service level as entrepreneurs. They break molds with ease and their performance likely gives way to a new way of doing things around the workplace.
2. They showcase company values. The best people are those who seem to ooze the exact same values as the companies for which they work. This isn’t something these employees actively attempt to do, it’s just their nature. Every company with a strong company culture seeks out employees who share and showcase matched values. The exact same is true for entrepreneurs, as they have the responsibility to create and promote their company DNA.
3. They know when to dial back. While overt eccentricity and enthusiasm are often highly coveted, people who know when to turn it on and off are always going to stand out. In the face of a challenge or stressful situation, an all star person should know how to get down to business and move past their individuality to be an integral member of the team.
4. They never (publicly) complain. The ability to complain privately or bring up a complaint in a professional way that provides a path to a solution is one very important employee trait. These are the kinds of people who discuss sensitive issues in a professional and private manner.
5. They work for the greater good. Business leaders aren’t just team players; they have a deep understanding of how their team plays best. They have the ability to adapt their work styles for the greater good of a project or the company as a whole.
6. They know how to give and receive praise. An amazing business leader is often the one praising peers and the entire team. They easily recognize the contributions of their co-workers. On the other hand, they also know how to humbly receive the praise they are given by others.
7. They can handle criticism. The ability to have thick skin is likely to set you apart as a successful business leader. Being able to take the heat and truly benefit from the variety of criticism you’re likely to receive on-the-job is a highly rewarded trait.
8. They have a good sense of humor. The stress and variety of emotions experienced on the job is usually easier to swallow with a keen sense of humor. Those people who are able to stay level and have a laugh now and again are going to be able to stay on top.
9. They’re a problem-solver. An amazing business leader is usually the individual who is continually striving to reach a solution — whether or not they’ve been asked. These individuals are likely to be the go-to people in times of need.
10. They’re trustworthy. Business leaders aren’t the individuals spreading office gossip. All star business leaders have honest hearts and are highly trusted individuals.
These traits will certainly help kick you to the next level as business leader, be it in an organisation that you have decided to work for or your own business. It is important not to go for everything at once. Take it one step at a time to ensure you’re successful. Also enjoy the process of personal growth it is a journey without shortcuts but worth having and worth telling.
Boris Grozev is a seasoned fintech executive. Entrepreneur by heart Boris has helped number of businesses to create and implement business development and product strategies. His advisory work in Emerging and Frontier markets has promoted culture and technology change, fostered innovation and lead to tangible results. He invests in variety of asset classes. Boris is a fast learner, whose leadership abilities, ambition, stamina, passion to succeed and attitude naturally spread to others helping to achieve common goals.